Sunday, November 04, 2007

Steak and taters....




I decided to take the lead from some other people and post some of my cooking. I love to cook so I'll post some of my creations though it may not happen too often so don't get too used to it. If you want to see a real food blog that is updated often and maintained well...check out Alosha's Kitchen.
She makes some sweet stuff. I'd be inviting myself for dinner often if I wasn't 3000 miles away.

Anyway...I made broiled skirt steak and mashed potatoes tonight. I am a huge fan of the skirt steak and of potatoes so well...it's a good match. Normally I would make a vegetable too but I bought a pretty big steak so I decided to forgo the vegetable....potato is a vegetable...right? I'll post some pics. I don't know how to post pics in a particular order so you'll see some pics of raw steak before broiling and raw potatoes before steaming and then of the finished product. Pretty easy. First I'll tell ya what I did.

Steak: just put on some kosher salt (it's all I really use), garlic powder and some paprika. (it's how mom and grandma did it. Then I just put it under the broiler. Probably a total of about 15 minutes or so for a medium rare. I flip it in the middle.

Potatoes: I just used some California white potatoes and leave the skin on. I cut them up a little and steam them. About 20 mins or so. Just till fork tender. Sometimes the time varies depending on the size. I just add some butter and kosher salt then mash. If I'm feeling indulgent, I'll add some cheese sometimes. I like deli sliced white american sometimes.

Simple meal. Sometimes I pull out all the stops but this is just an easy simple meat and taters meal. Also, I'm not the hugest fan of pepper and that's why I don't use it too much in seasoning. I use it if I'm making a soup or stew or something where it's more hidden. I don't usually use it on my meat directly and to tell ya the truth...never had any complaints. :)

I took the pics with my phone so they kinda suck but well, deal with it. Also...I gave you the plate raw and uncensored and I fully admit that I ate the steak with ketchup. Now, I happen to like skirt steak with ketchup. I know a lot of chefs would cringe but whatever. I WILL NOT eat any steak with ketchup in public and if anyone ever said I eat steak with ketchup, I'd deny it. I also won't eat a filet mignon with ketchup...that gets my special home made bernaise sauce.